You, too, can be an NIU referee

By Lacy Searcy

Vision. Communication. Accuracy.

These three components are invaluable traits an intramural sports referee must have.

The Northern Star set out to learn more about these refs.

There are nine sports played per semester through intramural sports. Students and faculty members who compete in intramural events tend to question referees’ calls and integrity.

How to become a ref

“You must be a student of the university,” intramural referee Jerry Zywczyk said. “You also are required to attend all training sessions.”

You also must pass a written exam administered by training supervisors to see if you are fit to be a referee.

If people think it is easy to be a ref, then they should sign up, intramural referee Henry Handler said.

Students only can sign up before an intramural sports event.

The Training Process

The training process to become a ref is not easy, Zywczyk said.

The process involves classroom training with rules, situations, mechanics, communication, enforcement of rules and field positioning. Trainees learn this material from booklets, lectures, videotapes and hands-on practice before the season starts. Referees also must go through training every year, no matter how many times they have done the sport, Zywczyk said.

The length of training depends on the sport and background of the sport they are training for, Zywczyk said. Football referees must train over a four-day period, which includes seven and a half hours of training.

Refereeing the game

During the game, refs are treated with respect most of the time, Zywczyk said. There are, however, some sports that get more abuse than average.

“There are a couple where a person or two keeps complaining,” Handler said. “But that doesn’t really bother me at all. I just have to go out and make the next call.”

With the speed of the games they officiate, referees have to be quick on their toes. They must have good communication skills so other referees, scorekeepers and players understand what is going on. The job also requires people skills.

Understanding the game is crucial to becoming a good ref, Zywczyk said.

Benefits of being a ref

Referees are promoted based on their performances, said Tim King, assistant coordinator of Intramural Sports.

Every referee gets critiqued by a supervisor. If they are judged to be good referees, they can get promoted to referee regional games. If they do a good job there, they have a chance to referee at a national tournament.

Referees are paid through the university and earn minimum wage.