Prep football finals in DeKalb?

By Steve Brown

DeKalb is one of three cities lobbying to bring the Illinois High School Association’s State football championships to town.

Along with Champaign, which has hosted the event for the past four years, and Bloomington, which hosted the event prior, DeKalb, which has never hosted the finals, is the only other city expected to put forth a proposal, IHSA assistant executive director Anthony Holman said.

DeKalb’s Convention and Visitor’s Bureau plans to finish such a proposal to the IHSA in July that could make DeKalb the home of the State football finals from 2006 to 2010.

“We’d love to have them here,” NIU football coach Joe Novak said. “There are so many people in the Chicago area that haven’t been on our campus, and this is just another way to get potential students and student-athletes into DeKalb.”

While the recruiting possibilities and publicity may be alluring for NIU, the most enticing part of bringing prep football’s championship to Huskie Stadium for the city of DeKalb is the payoff local businesses would see.

Heather Crichton, coordinator of the proposal committee, estimated that the spectators could channel $1 million a day into hotels, restaurants and other businesses if DeKalb becomes the IHSA’s site.

“It can go all the way up to $2 million,” Crichton said. “You’re looking at a huge economic impact on DeKalb. Also, in my mind, it’s historic. For so long, it’s been in Bloomington or Champaign, and this could change the tide.”

Champaign has held the event for the last four years at Memorial Stadium, also home to University of Illinois football.

“We’re just looking for which community will give our event the greatest support,” Holman said. “We want our choice to be accommodating and not do things like hike up their rates.”

The IHSA revised an 18-point proposal in April that detailed the criteria needed to host an event that could bring an estimated 32,000 people to DeKalb per November from 2006-2010.

Proposals from potential host cities must detail the football facilities that will be used, such as locker-room space, field surface and seating capacity. DeKalb’s proposal would also need to provide hotel accommodations, parking and other economic information.

DeKalb City Manager Mark Biernacki feels DeKalb’s football facilities, hotel and food accommodations make it an ideal place for the football championships.

“Certainly an event like this [would] be very beneficial to DeKalb,” Biernacki said. “Increased population translates to increased business and overall economic growth.”

The CVB has brought in several specialists to help set an agenda for the proposal, which is due Oct. 28. Costs for the proposal have only been estimated, Crichton said.

The CVB, backed by the city, plans to complete its proposal by Aug. 1. The IHSA selection board plans to make its decision by Jan. 9, 2006.