Film festival showcased various student-made documentaries

By Richard Pulfer

On Friday, aspiring documentary filmmakers competed against other students across the country as part of the communication department’s Reality Bytes documentary film festival.

The event was spear-headed by communications assistant professor Laura Vazquez.

“I think its good to see students seeing what other schools are doing,” Vazquez said. “You can’t learn from people making movies with a million dollar budget, but you can learn a lot from people in the same boat as you are.”

The event was also sponsored by Ruckus Entertainment, a company that specializes in providing students with legal music and movie downloads. In addition to broadcasting the film festival winners, Ruckus also gave out a $50 movie download gift certificate as a raffle prize.

Of the nine selections, five were directed by NIU students. The topics of these entries ranged everywhere from reality television to religious hate crimes.

Senior communication major Mike Novelli and NIU alumnus Mike Gentile won the festival’s best social issue with their piece, “Killing In the Name of?”, which examines religious-motivated crimes from the perspective of theological authorities.

“A New Frontier: The Sibley Story” won best historical in the festival. Directed by Lindenwood University student Christine Schlum, the film explores the life of Lindenwood’s founders, George and Mary Sibley, during the 1800s.

“The Adventures of Mad Matt” won both best autobiographical and best in show. Described as “America’s Funniest Home Videos” meets the “Wonder Years,” the film shows a family portrait through the lens of a series of backyard movies made by the children.

Media professor Jeffrey Chown has experience with documentaries. In 1998, he produced “The Barbed Wire Pioneers” and has won various awards in the field since then. He believes the Reality Bytes film festival has much to offer amateur filmmakers.

“I think its encouraging to see how NIU students compete with other universities, such as University of Texas and Notre Dame.” Chown said.

Many students on hand at the festival were viewing films for extra credit, such as journalism major John Meredith.

Meredith said his favorite film of the evening was “Mad Matt.”

“It was interesting on all levels,” he said. “I’m doing something like this someday.”