Local elections deserve students’ attention

If a recent Northern Star poll of 75 students is any indication of how much the general student population knows about the upcoming municipal elections, we have a problem.

Just 39 percent of the students surveyed were aware of upcoming elections, and only 27 percent knew who was running. If there is any election students should become involved in and learn about, this is the one.

NIU students living on or off campus are DeKalb residents, so they are in turn affected by everything the city council does.

The city council, which is headed by the mayor, is responsible for everything from taxes to liquor licenses. They are responsible for last year’s extension of the city’s bars by one hour.

If students don’t participate in the democratic process, decisions affecting them can and will be made without their input.

DeKalb Mayor Greg Sparrow is being challenged in the election by Frank Van Buer, a longtime DeKalb business owner. At the heart of the election is city growth, including the issue of how growth should be maintained and controlled.

In the Star survey, less than half of the students said they plan to vote in the election. At this point, that might be a good thing. If students don’t even know who is running in the election, they would not be capable of making an informed decision.

But there is still plenty of time in the next month for students and other community members to learn about each mayoral candidate so they can make a good decision. The Star will do its best to inform readers about where each candidate stands on the issues. On March 23, the Star will sponsor a moderated debate between the two candidates. This is the perfect time to hear what the candidates have to say.

And if the Star survey is even remotely accurate in saying that 73 percent of students don’t know who is running, it’s a great time to at least learn the candidates’ names.