NIU students prepare for pending job fair

By Tatiana Lopez

The February job and internship fairs are almost upon NIU students, many of whom are unprepared.

“A vast majority of seniors wait until the last minute to prepare themselves for the job fairs,” said Rick Clark, director of campus relations. “Students need to begin preparing themselves after the second semester of their freshman year.”

Most employers who attend the fairs seek junior and senior applicants, but also seek freshmen and sophomores for internship programs. Seniors might feel they are not ready to find a job or internship, but it is never too late to begin preparing.

“All NIU students, ranging from second semester freshmen to graduate students and alumni, should be putting themselves in the market for an internship or a permanent job in their field,” said Mireya Pourchot, publicity promotions specialist for the Career Planning and Placement Center.

As they conduct interviews, employers gauge students’ levels of self-confidence, communication skills, critical thinking and social etiquette.

“Employers call these ‘soft-skills,’” said Ron Short, executive director of career services. “They want to see that these skills are well-developed in the students they interview and successfully expressing those skills rests in good self-presentation.”

The CPPC, Room 220 of the Campus Life Building, offers students employment assistance before and after graduation.

“I worry that students are not taking advantage of the services we offer here,” Clark said. “This place is a one-stop shop for kicking off their careers, and it is important that students attend the internship and job fairs this month.”

The CPPC offers the following advice for preparing for the fairs:

Know the firms

“There are links available on our Web site for students to use to familiarize themselves with the different employers,” said Cindy Henderson, recruiting coordinator at the CPPC. “Students need to know basic information about the company before they talk to a representative.”

“Students need to know all the factors affecting their candidacy for the job,” Short said, “like the job location, the type of position, responsibilities and other pertinent information.”

Contact, contact, contact

“Students should keep an open line of communication between themselves and employers,” Clark said.

Students should notify company representatives of their intention to visit the company booth. The gesture demonstrates initiative.

“Sending a thank you card is a nice gesture, and helps your name to stand out,” Short said.

Resume

Employers conduct numerous short interviews and brevity is important.

“What students should be asking themselves is whether or not they’ve had their resumes critiqued and can they verbalize it in less than 45 seconds to an interviewer,” Henderson said.

Students should demonstrate how their skills match those of the desired position.

CPPC job counselors critique resumes from noon to 4 p.m. on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Critiques are conducted on a first come, first serve basis. Students can schedule appointments by calling 753-1641.

“It’s not too late for students to get help for the fairs from counselors here,” Henderson said. “There definitely is still time to get in for the fair on the 16th.”

Dress and Act the Part

“Dress is extremely important,” Henderson said. “Students need to dress professionally in clean business clothes.”

Students also should approach employers with confidence, assertiveness and an old-fashioned firm handshake.

Things to Avoid

Salary and benefit talk is off-limits unless the employer offers the information first.

Students should plan to come to the fair early – no later than 2 p.m., Henderson said.

Strong perfume and cologne scents might offend an employer or set off allergies.

Refraining from eating, drinking or chewing gum during an interview goes without question.