Future leaders need crash course in Constitution

Whether the blame can be placed on lack of classroom education, lack of parental explanation or just plain ignorance, high school students have a lot to learn about being Americans.

According to a study published last week by the University of Connecticut, high school students don’t have a problem with government censorship of free speech, nor do they believe flag burning is protected free speech.

The survey, billed as the largest of its kind, questioned more than 100,000 students, nearly 8,000 teachers and more than 500 administrators at 544 public and private high schools in early 2004.

Not only did those surveyed display their ignorance of American freedoms, but their responses are an indication that many citizens need to be better educated about the rights embodied in the Constitution.

According to the survey, most students thought it was illegal to burn the American flag, which it isn’t. They also thought the government was able to censor content on the Internet – wrong again.

Even more troublesome, especially to those who believe in the First Amendment, was the finding that more than one in three students surveyed said the First Amendment goes too far in guaranteeing rights.

These findings represent only a partial section of our society, but it’s scary to know that America’s future leaders – these 100,000 high school students – one day might become our future leaders.

It’s time that all Americans took an active effort in educating one another about what America and its First Amendment are all about.