P.E. needed in schools now more than ever

A weak body is a poor home for a strong mind. Schools across the country should remember this before cutting physical education programs.

In the face of tight budgets and increased demands for “results”- i.e. good test scores- some schools have cut or decreased P.E. programs in elementary and secondary schools. Illinois is the only state that requires daily physical education for students through senior year. Other states should take note.

In Tennessee, for example, only 18 percent of high school seniors take part in a P.E. class, according to CNN.com.

About 30 percent of young people are deemed overweight or obese, according to a Dec. 27 article in the Washington Times.

Extra pounds can lead to greater risks for a number of ailments, including diabetes, hypertension, cancer, heart disease and depression.

The Institute of Medicine of the National Academies has called for increased “opportunities for frequent, more intensive and engaging physical activity during and after school” to improve students’ health.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has even declared obesity an epidemic.

With this in mind, physical education is more important than ever. Keeping students active helps head off obesity and lets them work off energy so they can better focus on homework.

P.E. also teaches students kinetic skills and builds teamwork. It can provide students with a foundation for health, upon which they can build for the rest of their lives.

Critics of physical education say classes are often poorly run, with teachers facing little accountability. While these may be legitimate complaints, addressing them directly would be more productive than than reducing or cutting programs altogether.

Physical education is still just that- education.