Wishful listing

As children are busy writing letters to Santa – and broke college students pen similar versions for their parents, siblings, significant others and friends – it’s time again for the Northern Star editorial board to create its own holiday wish list of what we would like to see the new year bring to NIU and DeKalb.

We wish …

… For the NIU football team to win its bowl game. Getting a bid, something the team has worked extremely hard for, is already a treat, but a win would be the perfect way to close out 2004.

… For the Student Association to get its act together. It needs to forget about power trips and start improving relations with the Campus Activities Board. We’re still waiting on many of its campaign promises, too.

… For NIU Parking Services to actually create more parking – not parking jams – for students. Parking Services’ “vision” at the beginning of the semester of giving NIU more of a “campus feel” hasn’t really worked. It has created more problems, and now they are going to reserve even more spaces.

… For NIU to pave the Holmes Student Center turnaround. It takes the buses forever to get around the turnaround because of the giant potholes. Winter break is a perfect time to smooth out the problems.

… For DeKalb to revitalize the downtown area to attract more students. With the right businesses, downtown could be what gives DeKalb a college-town feeling.

… For 70th District State Rep. Bob Pritchard to march his way into Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s office and tell him that he refuses to leave until Blagojevich starts appropriating proper funds for higher education. We’ve gotten the short end of the stick for too long.

… For cheaper books. Prices are getting outrageous, and NIU needs to do something. Anything. Better buyback prices would be nice, too. Somehow, getting $15 and a can of pop for a $50 book just doesn’t seem worth it.

… For NIU to get the most out of Altgeld Hall. The completion of the historic building has made quite a few appearances on our holiday wish list. Now that the building is done, we want students to have a reason to go there. The 500-seat auditorium is a good place to start getting them there.

… For higher student turnout at NIU events. This not only includes sporting events but also events sponsored by the hundreds of campus organizations. They put a lot of effort into planning entertainment and cultural events for not just their organization but also for the community.

And last but not least … we wish for NIU to receive another $20 million check from a wealthy donor – not for something NIU alumni will use, but for something students can use. We would love to see another NIU college get a new home as beautiful as Barsema Hall.