Sports medicine program tabs three new grad assistant athletic trainers

If there truly is safety in numbers, the Northern Illinois Sports Medicine staff is ready for the 1993-1994 athletic season.

Mary Harper, Karen Rausch and Jeff Carrico join the NIU sports medicine operation as graduate assistant athletic trainers for the coming season, said Head Athletic Trainer Mike Braid.

The incoming trio joins full-time staffers Braid and assistant Athletic Trainers Andrea Asselta and Phil Voorhis in overseeing a staff of 21 student trainers who help cover the Huskies’ 16-sport Division I program.

Harper comes to NIU from Kent State University where she served as a student athletic trainer for the past four seasons. She assisted the Golden Flashes’ 18-sport program, but had primary responsibilities with the women’s gymnastics, softball and women’s volleyball teams.

Rausch joins the Huskie staff after having served as a student trainer from 1990 through 1993 at Grand Valley State University. At Grand Valley, Rausch worked with the Lakers’ football, baseball and softball programs.

Carrico spent the past five campaigns as a student trainer with Eastern Kentucky University’s athletic program working with the school’s football, baseball and women’s volleyball squads. He earned dean’s list recognition in his final four semesters leading up to a Bachelor of Science degree in physical education from EKU in May.