Columnist bids farewell to readership

By Willie Mickell

After three years of reporting, writing, explaining and debating, the time has come for me to put down the pen and the pad and walk away from writing my column for the Northern Star. The opportunity to report stories in the past as a Higher Education Reporter and the opportunity now to write a weekly column for the Star, sharing my perspective day in and day out, have been thrilling experiences.

Because of this experience, my portfolio at home includes 184 articles I have reported and written for the Star. There are 127 columns I have written. And there are 679 e-mail responses I have received to date from students and community members who agreed and disagreed with my columns. Furthermore, this experience has opened up the door for me to write books, produce a documentary and network with other individuals in the area of media studies.

Writing a column has given me the opportunity to educate people while becoming more educated myself. My goal has always been to write about current issues that would spark discussion among people. My goal has never been to embarrass or insult any single person.

It has always been my philosophy that none of us are that great or that anyone knows it all. By agreeing and disagreeing with one another, we will continue to learn more about why we think the way we do about certain issues. This is the key to moving forward in a world of democracy.

Furthermore, there are three people who have been a part of my success. First, my mom, who patiently tried to answer all of my questions of curiosity as a kid, teenager and even as an adult, when it came to politics, religion or sex. These discussions with my mom made me the critical thinker I am today. Second, Professor Sue Halbrader, who encouraged me to pursue my childhood dream of becoming a writer. And Dr. John Butler, who taught me how to debate and analyze everything – from movies to the media images of certain events as we see them today. These two professors encouraged myself and other students to think outside the box. They taught me not to just read something and believe it. With this knowledge, I say thank you and good-bye.

For those interested in writing for the Star, the opportunity is available. The office is located in the Campus Life Building, Suite 130 – don’t be afraid to stop by and check it out.

Finally, I want to thank all of my supporters who encouraged me over the years to write and educate them. I also would like to thank the non-supporters or those who disagreed with me, because they were indirectly responsible for some of my writings as well.

In the final analysis, those who enjoy my writings and would be interested in additional information about my upcoming book can e-mail [email protected] for additional information.

Columns reflect the opinion of the author and not necessarily that of the Northern Star staff.