Talented senior receives award

By Justin Smith

Most NIU students probably consider themselves busy, but chances are, they’re not as busy as senior political science and history double major Ben Ogle.

Ogle was recently chosen as the 2005 Student Lincoln Laureate Award winner, an award which recognizes students each year for their overall excellence in curricular and extracurricular activities.

The award has been distributed annually to a senior student from each of the 52 participating four-year universities in Illinois since 1975 and is given out by the Lincoln Academy of Illinois. The organization’s purpose is to recognize outstanding achievement by students, both in and out of the classroom.

Award winners receive a medallion of Lincoln, a certificate of merit and a small stipend. In addition, winners from every school are invited to attend a formal luncheon ceremony at the governor’s mansion in Springfield.

Ogle, who currently holds a 3.95 GPA, has participated in a variety of internships, served in numerous leadership positions for student organizations and has received a number of recognitions.

Two summers ago, Ogle interned at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. There, he received the Cooperative Education department’s Co-op Student of the Year Silver Award. He also received the Inez Nelson Award, as well as numerous other awards from the political science department, where he is part of the honors program.

“Ben is undoubtedly one of the brightest and most thoughtful students I have had during my 17 years of teaching at NIU,” said Daniel Kempton, political science professor and chair of the department, who has Ogle in his POLS 497 class this semester.

Ogle also serves as the president of Phi Sigma Zeta, the secretary of the Model United Nations and as Phi Sigma Zeta’s representative to the Political Science Student Advisory Committee. This month, he will be attending the Student Council on U.S. Affairs at the United States Military Academy at West Point.

“I have very little free time this semester,” Ogle said. “But, to the extent that I do, I generally just kick back and relax.”

Ogle attributes his success to a strong sense of motivation for his field of study.

“I enjoy being active in the organizations that I am a part of and I truly enjoy the subjects that I am studying,” he said.

Ogle will graduate in May with a Bachelor of Science degree in political science with an emphasis in international politics, as well as a Bachelor of Arts in history. He said he likely will pursue a graduate degree in security studies and intends to work in government in the field of international relations or national security.

“Instead of setting his sights on a more lucrative job, Ben is committed to a career in public service,” said Christopher Jones, the political science professor and assistant chair who nominated Ogle for the award. “He’s seeking employment at a time when our nation truly needs talented, dedicated professionals.”