Organization brings Christ to campus

By Tarciano Figueiredo

To combat modern myths that Christians are boring or the Bible’s teachings do not apply to today, Heartland:PM promises to bring students a new meaning to Christianity.

Students can expect to experience a new and exciting presentment of Christianity, said Joel Dixon, president of Heartland:PM and senior finance major.

“The teachings at PM are very practical, and it is easy for me to see how they relate to specific issues in my life,” Dixon said.

Heartland tries to show that Christianity can be dynamic and the Bible can be applied to students’ needs, said Kimberly Judson NIU marketing professor and one of the organization’s advisers.

Everything about the group is designed to meet the needs of college-age students, Dixon said.

“We use several tools to accomplish this goal: the arts, video, drama and music,” he said.

Heartland:PM is trying to attract students with a band that plays contemporary worship. The band has 11 members.

People always will have an easy on-ramp to engage in music, said Casey Bankord the Heartland:PM director of music/worship.

“Students can expect to experience relevant music from our full band,” Dixon said.

The organization’s goal is not to press Christian beliefs on anyone but to help people experience the best possible life through teaching, music and community that is transformational, Bankord said.

“Heartland:PM is about offering a new type of Christian venue where students from all backgrounds can experience timeless Christian truths, presented in a way that speaks to our generation,” Dixon said.

“We are expecting an excellent response from the NIU community next semester when we launch the organization,” Dixon said.

Heartland:PM meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday nights. For more information visit http://www.heartlandpm.com, or call 395-8000.