Lush & Loaded

By Jessica King

Christine LoFaso doesn’t want you to stereotype the fibers discipline.

Fibers, an emphasis for B.F.A. majors in the School of Art, includes papermaking, book arts, fabric painting, printing, dyeing and textile construction. LoFaso, the program’s head, stresses its huge range of materials and techniques. Fibers is not just about knitting and quilting.

Jeffrey Basile, a senior, said the major is hard to define.

“There’s a common misconception about fibers – that it’s a very crafty field,” Basile said. “But we overlap with lots of different kinds of art. Fibers is more a mindset.”

Only nine students currently major in fibers, partly because LoFaso is the only faculty member for the area. NIU is one of only two public schools in Illinois offering the major and one of three total in the state. SIU-Edwardsville is the other public university offering a fibers degree.

Although students majoring in different fields can take some of the fiber courses; small class size remains a benefit of the program.

Basile said he really enjoys the small-class atmosphere, in part because it allows for detailed feedback about one’s work.

“Feedback is crucial,” he said. “If you don’t get strong feedback, you won’t be prepared for the real world. Christine is very good with critiques. She forces you to look closely at the content and material.”

Rebecca McAnly, a senior in the fibers emphasis, decided to pursue her line of study at NIU because her family has a long tradition in working with fibers and fabrics. She’s been sewing most of her life.

“Fibers is the bridge between practical use to expressive use,” McAnly said. “There’s a historical context for this work. Cloth is the first thing you know; it’s the last thing you’re wrapped in.”

McAnly said the program is rigorous, but there’s not a lot of competition among people in it.

The Holmes Student Center’s Glass Gallery is hosting “Lush & Loaded,” a show of work from six undergraduate and graduate fibers majors.

During the artists’ reception on Oct. 28, McAnly cut up part of a wedding dress and spread a long tail of its fabric across the HSC hotel lobby.

The piece is part of her “Bridezilla” series. Pieces at the show from other students include two giant stuffed dolls, a beaded sign displaying the word “FAG” and a hairbrush sculpture with a woven component.

LoFaso is enthusiastic about her students’ work.

“The age in which we live offers students working in fibers a tremendous capacity to make powerful statements,” she said.

Classes for the program are generally held in Kishwaukee Hall near the East Lagoon. The facilities are less than ideal, LoFaso said.

She said the heating systems breaks down at least three times a winter, the interior hasn’t been painted in years and the roof needs to be replaced.

“The building is not the one the university is spending its money on,” LoFaso said. “But in spite of the building, I’m proud of the students and their range of work. There’s great diversity in the program.”

“Lush & Loaded” will be displayed until tomorrow.