SA vice president resigns mid-semester

By Gerold Shelton

Student Association President Craig Marcus announced SA Vice President Janet Rodriguez’s resignation at the SA senate meeting Sunday. Marcus read Rodriguez’s resignation letter, at the meeting.

Rodriguez wrote that this semester has been one of her best life experiences, but her time commitments to clinical work and being a bilingual translator for the health department “have become overwhelming and have hindered my ability to perform as SA vice president.”

Marcus said it’s unfortunate to lose anyone in the course of the year.

“But at the same time, you’ve got to look at the positive side. Maybe new ideas will be brought in. We can’t go backwards and can only go forward,” Marcus said.

Marcus told senators he would like a candidate who is in charge of a “major organization on campus, not a 10-member organization,” and preferably one that is SA-funded.

“It is important to get a new VP in now so the new person can get up to speed on what is going on,” he said.

Applications will be accepted through 4 p.m. Wednesday in the Campus Life Building, Suite 180.

Marcus said he will discuss candidates with Treasurer DuJuan Smith and Student Trustee Eric Johnson. He said he plans to announce the selection at the next senate meeting, at 6 p.m. Nov. 21 in the Holmes Student Center’s Clara Sperling Sky Room.

Marcus announced a Campus Activities Board/SA commission to rewrite CAB’s constitution.

“This is not an effort to subvert CAB. [CAB President Matt Holder] sits on the commission,” SA Senate Speaker Andrew Nelms said. “There is a good deal of vagueness and discrepancies in their constitution – especially since they are now an elected position.”

Senators confirmed two SA supreme court justices: senior management major Tia Kirkling and junior pre-sociology major Dominique Pierce.

CAB/SA commission members

– Shaun Crisler (chairman)

– Matt Holder

– Craig Marcus

– Jaclyn Reyes

– Eric Johnson

– Mary-Kate Healy

– Jarquetta Egeston

– CJ Williams