SA recognizes six new organizations, denies one

By Gerold Shelton

The Student Association Senate recognized six new organizations Sunday, but rejected CRAVE, a proposed Christian organization affiliated with Christ Community Church.

The vote came down to a 13-13 tie after one senator changed her vote from a “no” to an abstention. After consulting Robert’s Rules of Order, it was determined a tie vote automatically fails and the rules allow for senators to reconsider their votes.

“Hopefully that vote set a precedent,” said SA Senator Andrew Becerra. “We want students at NIU to have choices, but they can’t do it with 50 of the same kinds of organizations butting heads.”

SA Senate Speaker Andrew Nelms, who voted in favor of CRAVE receiving recognition, told the senate the organization should be allowed unless there is a substantial reason not to grant membership. He also said during his time with the SA, only a couple of organizations had been denied recognition.

“These cases are few and far between,” Nelms said. “My only concern is what that organization had to offer.”

In other senate matters, the senate sent a resolution confirming appointments of its executive staff to the rules committee.

The next meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Sunday in the Holmes Student Center’s Clara Sperling Skyroom.

The organizations recognized by the SA include: Bright I.D.E.A. Entertainment, D~Vision Fashion Organization, We Care Pregnancy Center @ NIU, National Student Horse Protection Coalition (NSHPC), Illinois State Wards Association and Heartland: Post Modern Faith.