CPPC paves way to career placement

By Megan Rodriguez

Students looking for jobs after graduation may want to take advantage of NIU’s Career Planning and Placement Center.

The CPPC offers a variety of services including career counselors to help students and alumni with career-related concerns, campus interviews with employers, resources for temporary and seasonal employment and information on volunteer opportunities.

Other services offered at the CPPC are through Victor eRecruiting, an online job search program at http://www.niu.edu/cppc. The program offers workshops on resume writing, interviewing skills, business dining etiquette and job search strategies. Students also can view sample resumes and employer interview questions on the Web site.

Last year there were 1,601 employers that posted 3,218 jobs on Victor eRecruiting, said Ron Short, CPPC director. Students can fill out profiles and upload resumes and cover letters on the system. When a job is posted fitting a student’s profile, he or she is notified and can choose to apply or not.

Making an appointment to discuss the variety of options available when looking for a job is something Short recommends.

“The first advice I would offer is to make an appointment with a career counselor to review your resume and to assist you with some job search techniques and strategies,” Short said. “Secondly, I would suggest taking the time to develop a plan for your job search. Most jobs are still gotten by networking, so take time to develop a list of people to network with and hone your networking skills.”

Another service on campus helping students look for jobs is the Cooperative Education/Internship Program.

Students use this service to get pre-graduation experience. A student must have completed 30 hours to qualify, Short said.

“More and more students are obtaining co-ops, internships, clinicals and student teaching work experiences that lead to full-time employment offers.”

When selecting jobs, Short said students should look for not only such things as salary and benefits but where the job is located as well.

“Culture, work environment, opportunities for promotion and development, plus traveling required by the job and opportunities to travel in the job are also important things to look for when selecting a job,” he said.

Going to job fairs is also something Short recommends.

“Next to networking, job fairs are one of the best ways to find a job graduating from college,” he said.

NIU sponsors spring and fall job fairs that an average of 150 employers attend.

“Students oftentimes get frustrated by the time it takes to find a job,” Short said. “Finding the right job is often referred to as a full-time job, however, taking the time and energies to find the right job is well worth it.”

For more information:

– Students can explore major and career options at www.niu.edu/crc/major/Weblink.htm.

– The Web site for Victor eRecruiting is available at www.niu.edu/cppc.

– Walk-in critiques are available to students from 12 to 4 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday at the Campus Life Building, Room 220.