Report cards are in: State gets 2.8

By Gerold Shelton

Illinois received a “B+” in student preparation and an “A” in participation in higher education on this year’s high-school state report card.

The report, put together by the National Public Center for Public Policy and Higher Education, was well-received by the DeKalb school district and NIU staff.

Illinois’ grade in student preparation can be attributed to students’ high entrance level exam scores and proper teacher qualifications.

“We have a number of students who take Advanced Placement courses,” said Linell Lasswell, assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction at the DeKalb school district. “Students in our district are very well prepared for higher education.”

Mary Hawley, assistant principal for curriculum and instruction at DeKalb High School, said students can enter advanced placement courses in several areas, including European history, American history, government, biology, chemistry, calculus, studio art and English.

Statewide, 227 out of every 1,000 students placed in the top 20 percent in national college entrance exams. It was the highest of all states in that category.

“Our scores are always above the state averages. Each child has to take the ACT, so that is an amazing feat to have more [top 20 percent performers] than other states,” Lasswell said.

Teachers in Illinois are also found to be some of the most qualified in the country. At a 70-percent qualified teacher rate, Illinois is considered a top performer in the number of teachers with a major in their teaching area.

“The majority of our teachers are highly qualified and have the educational background that they are teaching in,” Lasswell said.

Still, some at NIU said they would like to see those numbers rise.

Sometimes teachers with a background, such as math, will end up teaching chemistry classes or something that is math related, but they do not necessarily have a chemistry background, said Judy Cox-Henderson, coordinator of clinical experiences and student teacher placement at NIU.

“Schools are being pressured into getting people without [the necessary background] trained,” Cox-Henderson said. “You’d still like to see those numbers higher than they are.”

NIU Vice Provost Earl Seaver agreed that there is still work to be done, but said he was generally happy with how Illinois schools were preparing students.

“I think the high schools are doing a good job,” Seaver said. “There’s more we can do, but generally [students] are well prepared for higher education, the workforce or the military, which is where basically everybody will end up [after high school].”

The high level of preparation is shown by the number of students enrolling in higher education.

Illinois was one of only nine states to receive an “A” in participation. About one of every three 18- to 24-year-olds in Illinois are enrolled in college.

However, there are other aspects of education that cannot be measured in numbers or reports that schools also need to be looking at, Seaver said.

“Universities need to be working closely with high schools. Education needs to be seamless. The transition needs to be seamless,” Seaver said.

He said the adjustment it takes for a student to jump from middle school to high school or from high school to college should not be as apparent as it is. There should be a strong communication between the two so that education will pick up right where it left off, Seaver said.