Students accuse high school of racist discipline practices

By Andy McMurray

The purpose of the DeKalb school district requires that relations among students and staff are characterized by courtesy, civility and consideration for one another. That policy came into question Tuesday at the DeKalb school board meeting.

Students and parents voiced their opinions of perceived racial prejudice at DeKalb High School.

The controversy stemmed from a newsletter distributed at the high school two weeks ago. The newsletter contained several references to race and appeared to be aimed at an African American audience, said Karen Wilkerson, an attorney representing several students.

Punishments were handed down in a racially biased manner, Wilkerson said.

“The matter of specific student disciplinary matters is something we will take up in executive session,” said Tom Teresinski, school board president after several students had accused the high school administration of biased punishment.

“It is apparent from the number of parents and citizens present tonight that there are issues of inequality at DeKalb High School,” Wilkerson said.

“It’s time for the board to come out from behind the desk and hold a dialogue with students and parents,” Wilkerson said.

Jerry Wright, parent and director of student support services at NIU said he had students in the district but later pulled them out. “When I walked into DeKalb High School this week I felt a real adversarial relationship between black students and white administrators.”

In other action, the school board approved 4-2 the renewal of a contract with NIU for use of Huskie Stadium by the DHS football program.

The board estimated costs for use of the stadium this year to be around $20,000. NIU charges about $4,000 per game with support personnel and safety staff.

“I won’t support this because of the cost,” board member Tia Robinson said, “that is a huge chunk of money.”

The program does not have its own facility to host football games and had to choose between Huskie Stadium and eliminating football, said board secretary Holly Wallace. She suggested the board consider building a stadium soon.

“It’s a setup,” board member Mike Griesbaum said. “By the time the board gets to vote on the contract DHS has already played the games,” he said.