NIU allows holy observances

By Tarciano Figueiredo

Junior accountancy major Uzair Chippa is Muslim and observes holidays that don’t fall within NIU’s academic breaks.

Chippa observes Eid-ul-Fitr, a day that celebrates the end of Ramadan and Eid al-Adha – or Feast of Sacrifice – which commemorates Ibraham’s willingness to obey God by sacrificing his son.

Though Chippa’s holidays are on days that aren’t days off for NIU students, he still can celebrate them.

Since Aug. 26, 1985, NIU has had a policy giving students, professors and employees the chance to observe their religious practices without conflicting with school.

In some cases, students who are Muslim, Hindu or Jewish may have a class, exam or assignment on a day that is holy. The student must contact his or her professor and explain the issue related to religious observance and notify the appropriate instructor or administrative area as soon as possible, according to the policy.

Students who believe they have been unreasonably denied an educational benefit due to their religious beliefs or practices may bring the matter to the attention of the department chair. If students still have problems for any reason, they can consult the dean or dean’s designee within their college.

Students have to be aware of their rights, but they do have to obey the policy by going to their instructor first, said NIU Provost Earl Seaver.

Faculty and supervisors are encouraged to be considerate of the interests of those who want to participate in religious observances, Seaver said.

Chippa said he is glad NIU gives him the freedom and equal opportunity to practice his religion.

Conflicts between religious observances and the academic schedule

l Students faced with religious conflicts should notify the appropriate instructor or administrative area as much in advance of the examination or other activity creating the conflict as possible. Students believing they have been unreasonably denied an educational benefit due to religious beliefs or practices may bring the matter to the attention of the department chair, or if for any reason this would not be appropriate, to the dean or dean’s designee of their college, for resolution.

(Consistent with P.A. 84-212, approved and effective August 26, 1985.)