Commission is out to draw blood

By Megan Rodriguez

This year, the NIU Blood Commission wants to raise 1,000 units of blood – and students’ awareness about blood donation and its uses in the NIU and DeKalb communities.

The organization, which donates blood to Heartland Blood Centers, will be hosting blood drives throughout the year to help meet its goal.

“Every little bit helps when it comes to blood donation,” said Melanie Maples, a junior elementary education major and president of the NIU Blood Commission.

In the past few years, NIU has contributed about 800 to 1,000 units of blood per year; however, this number is significantly lower than the 4,000 units the university was projected to collect. This number has steadily decreased from a 3,500-unit goal in 1991 to a 1,000-unit goal in 2004. One donation equals one unit, or pint, of blood.

“Every unit of blood does help, and we are on campus to support this cause,” Maples said. “If you are afraid of needles or unable to give blood, we still welcome you. Our primary focus is publicizing blood drives and recruiting donors for all on-campus blood drives.”

Last year, NIU collected about 800 units of blood to donate to the Heartland Blood Center, which provides the blood to 35 area hospitals.

“Every three seconds, someone needs blood,” Maples said. “A single pint of blood can help up to three people.”

After the September 11 terrorist attacks, there was a huge blood donation period. Now, area blood centers are plagued with shortages.

“We are going to call it the Huskie 1,000, and as a campus, we should strive to exceed this goal,” Maples said. “Kishwaukee Community Hospital receives all their blood products from Heartland Blood Center, so all the blood donated in our community stays in our community and helps our neighbors, family and friends.”

Blood donations help individuals in car accidents, individuals with cancer, transplants, trauma, premature birth, sickle cell anemia and open heart surgery, among other things.

In addition to Kishwaukee Hospital, Heartland Blood Center is the sole supplier for 35 other area hospitals, making it necessary for the centers to collect 500 units of blood each and every day, Maples said.

The commission meets at 9 p.m. Wednesday nights in DuSable 318.