Two students charged with sex crimes

By Nick Swedberg and David Gomez

Two NIU students are being held on charges of sexual crimes against a woman in Grant Towers North after a Saturday morning incident – the second incident of a criminal sexual assault in NIU’s residence halls in a week.

Authorities have charged Silas R. Caldwell, 18, of Broadview with criminal sexual assault following the latest incident. Caldwell is being held in DeKalb County Jail on $100,000 bond.

A bond reduction hearing is set for 9 a.m. today.

Steven McIntyre, 19, of Chicago was charged with criminal sexual abuse in the same incident and is in DeKalb County Jail on $3,000 bond. A bond reduction hearing on Thursday morning reduced the bond from $5,000.

Criminal sexual assault is a Class 1 felony and is classified as an act of sexual penetration by force or threat. Sexual abuse is a Class A misdemeanor and occurs when sexual conduct, such as fondling or inappropriate touching, is committed under force or threat.

Both University Police and the NIU Judicial Office are investigating the incident and declined to comment.

The previous reported incident occurred on Oct. 14. Trevor A. Zumwalt, 18, of DeKalb was charged with sexual assault and battery for incidences that occurred between Oct. 8 and 9.

After-hours calls to representatives from the NIU Judicial Office, Student Affairs and Student Housing and Dining Services were not returned by press time.