Stoke your Homecoming spirit

It’s time to get out your red and black face paint and NIU gear to show your Huskies pride – Homecoming has arrived.

But don’t wait until the game Saturday to start the festivities.

The Campus Activity Board has provided events all week and will continue to throughout the weekend, allowing students, family and alumni to join in celebration as the Huskies take on the Central Michigan University Chippewas.

Start your Friday night festivities by attending the Homecoming parade, which will feature the Homecoming court, including NIU’s new king and queen, Kiarri Andrews and Jarquette Egeston.

Cheering and catching candy and Mardi Gras beads on the sidewalk beside Lucinda Avenue will be good practice for the screaming and cheering at Saturday’s game.

Campus traditions will likely continue Saturday with kegs and eggs, so make sure you invite your alumni friends out for a trip down memory lane – something only a 6 a.m. beer could do.

Of course, tailgating – another alumni favorite – can be the only event to follow kegs and eggs. Pile your grills and lawn chairs in the trunk of your parent’s old car and park your car next to the thirtysomethings that can only be alumni since there is no way current students could have that much pride.

The game will begin at 3:05 p.m. Don’t forget the leftover ThunderStix from the last home game and make sure you dig out your winter gloves because it wouldn’t be a true Homecoming game unless the weather drops into the low 50s and the wind picks up to 30 mph.

The plan is for the Huskies to slaughter the Chippewas, and the only way to ensure victory is show our school spirit by painting paw-prints on our face and pounding our feet with every “Go Huskies!” shouted.