NIU gears up for Family Weekend

By Chris Strupp and Sara Adams

NIU students looking to spend time with their parents have many choices with this year’s Family Weekend.

“It’s hard to take families out in DeKalb, so the scheduled activities are a nice option,” said Bridget Brennan, Campus Activities Board’s concert coordinator.

Family Weekend’s theme is Mardi Gras and kicks off with bowling at the Huskie Den and a movie in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium Friday night.

”The movie has always been a pretty popular event, and this year we have bigger-name family films,” said Jen Suerth, CAB travel coordinator. CAB will be showing “Shrek 2” and “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.”

Saturday afternoon, families can get excited for the football game by tailgating in the Convocation Center parking lot before heading off to the 3:05 p.m. kickoff at Huskie Stadium for the game against the University of Akron.

For those not interested in going to the game, CAB will hold a Fun Fair from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Capitol Room. The fair will include tarot card and palm readers, caricatures and the opportunity for families to take photos in Mardi Gras attire.

Later in the evening, students and their families can enjoy an improv comedy performance.

The Second City National Touring Company, which launched the careers of comic legends John Belushi, Mike Myers, Bill Murray and others, will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday in the Duke Ellington Ballroom.

The Second City, a live theater based in Chicago, is celebrating its 45th year in business.

“We do social and political satire in a sketch comedy review format,” said Beth Kligerman, producer of the Second City Touring Company.

The performance is expected to be an hour-and-a-half long and will feature a show titled “The Second City’s 45th Anniversary Tour.”

“It’s really funny, and it’s a big family draw,” said Jaquita Logan, CAB’s special events coordinator.

Admission is $5 for NIU Students, children through the age of 17 and senior citizens over 65. General admission tickets are $7. Tickets are still available for Second City and those interested should contact the CAB office.

“I hope that families will have fun this weekend because that is the most important thing,” Logan said.