Baseball’s fall world series comes to end

By Bob Grant

The deciding Game 5 of the NIU Fall World Series was dominated by pitcher Nick Hall in a 2-1 NIU Cardinal victory over NIU Black in 10 innings Thursday afternoon.

The win gave the Cardinals a 3-2 victory in the five-game series.

Hall pitched all 10 innings, striking out 10 and giving up one run on four hits.

The junior started two games during the series and allowed two runs.

Jason Newcomb of the Cardinal team accounted for both of his team’s runs, scoring in the second inning on a Tug Gillingham double and driving in Kyle Cherney in the 10th for the walk-off win.

Pitching dominated this year’s Fall World Series, as the Cardinal had a team ERA of 1.00 while the Black had a 2.60.

“I think a lot of people will wonder about our pitching next season,” Hall said. “I’m a pitcher and I had some questions before the series. I think we saw a glimpse of the young, talented pitchers on this roster. Just look at the scores. There was some good pitching going on throughout the series.”

Coach Ed Mathey and Huskies baseball begin its regular season Feb. 11 at Texas Tech.

Men’s hoops tryout

The NIU men’s basketball team will hold walk-on tryouts for the upcoming season 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Victor E. Court.

Students must have a physical from within 30 days of the tryout and must apply beforehand at the basketball office of the Convocation Center, Room CV 231.

If interested, contact assistant coach Donald Whiteside at 753-1629.

Women’s hoops tryout

The NIU women’s basketball team will also hold a tryout at 6 p.m. Oct. 27 at the Convocation Center.

To try out, players must have a physical from within the last three months.

If interested, contact director of basketball operations Colleen Mullen at 753-0586 by Oct. 22.

Men’s tennis at Marquette

Four NIU men’s tennis singles players and one doubles team went undefeated at the Marquette Fall Invitational in Milwaukee, Wis. over the weekend.

Huskies senior Willy Gali led the way for the Huskies in the No. 1 spot, only losing one set in his three match wins.

Freshmen Mark Tate and Adam Ford teamed up to go 3-0 in doubles play, while Tate also won every set he played in the No. 2 singles position.

Also undefeated were fellow freshmen Alex Friesen and Diego Zegarra-Ballon.

The Huskies will now get ready for the 2004 ITA Regional Oct. 21 in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Cross-country wins

Alicja Czajka led the way again for the Huskies, as they won their second event in two weeks Saturday at the NCAA Pre-Nationals in Terre Haute, Ind.

Czajka finished 13th out of 191 runners with a time of 22:18.7 in the 6-kilometer race.

The senior from Swarzedz, Poland has run the best time for NIU in each of the six events it has competed in.

Other Huskies place winners were sophomores Jessica Schauff and Emily Ramsey in 47th and 59th place, senior Bonnie Miller in 62nd place and Denisse Valladares in 79th place.

The 2004 fall cross-country season will conclude Oct. 30 at the MAC championship meet at Toledo’s Ottawa Hills Golf Course.