Cell phones beat clacking stones

In a world where students who live on the same residence hall floor call each other’s cell phone instead of wandering down the hall to say “hi,” it’s no wonder the use of technology on college campuses is a hotly debated issue.

College students today have access to more technology than students did 10 or even five years ago. Cell phones, PDAs, laptops and other gadgets are practically required – in the classroom and out – for students on the go.

Despite some professors’ objections that devices such as laptops serve only as a disruption in the classroom, it’s clear technology does students more good than harm.

It’s true that ringing or vibrating cell phones can be a distraction in the classroom. But the devices can – and definitely should – be silenced during class, easily fixing the problem.

And while laptops can be used to play computer games or type homework for another class, the benefits of using a laptop in class outweigh the drawbacks.

Professors need to accept that there will always be distractions in the classroom, and technology isn’t the only form distractions take. After all, bored students without laptops still doodle in their notebooks, stare blankly out the window and pass notes. It’s inevitable that some students won’t pay attention in class.

But for students taking their coursework seriously, laptops make studying easier. Taking notes on a laptop is faster than writing notes out long-hand, meaning students can capture more of what their professors say. Typed notes are also neater and easier to read than students’ chicken-scratch handwriting. Clearer notes make it easier for students to study and earn better grades.

Even less studious classmates can benefit from laptops in the classroom. If someone misses class, a fellow classmate can print the notes they missed or, better yet, e-mail the notes.

If technology improves students’ academic performance and their classroom experience, then NIU faculty and staff should support it and its growth.

Even the clicking of a keyboard can be ignored if it means students will do better on their exams.