Concession stands cater to Huskie fans

By Chtis Strupp

Starting this year, NIU has taken over operations of the concession stands at Huskie Stadium.

An outside company used to control the concessions, but the university wanted to take over on a trial basis to see if they could offer improvements in any way, said Bob Albanese, associate vice president of finance and facilities.

“We thought we could upgrade the operation in terms of generating income for the university, and that income helps keep student fees down,” Albanese said.

Renovation of the stadium concessions will only take place in small measures until long-term improvements can be worked out.

There are currently no plans for any long-term improvements, Albanese said. However, it doesn’t mean improvements won’t be made in the future.

Students attending the games can now find different food items on the menu along with more places to get those items.

“The problem is that everyone wants concessions at the same time, which usually is halftime,” Albanese said.

The university has taken steps to ensure students are able to buy their food and get back to the game on time.

The stadium will have more points of sale, people selling inside the stadium and more options outside in terms of food, Albanese said.

Along with more options in concessions, the east side of the stadium will now have hawkers selling food during the game, he said.”We added some outdoor vendors on the east and west side,” said director of Athletic Facilities Sue Hansfield.

The stadium has also added two auxiliary express stations for the intent of another point of service, Hansfield said. This will benefit those who are not tailgating or barbequing by allowing them to grab a sandwich before they watch the game, she said.

The changes will be made throughout the season with small modifications every game.

The university plans on making better improvements to the concession stands every game and having food service on a higher level in the stadium, Albanese said. Other ideas include an outdoor grilling area, he said.

The take over in operations also helps generate more jobs for students needing employment.

“It’s a win-win situation in which we generate extra income and employ extra students,” Albanese said.

The university is committed to hiring mostly students, he said.

“We have had positive feedback on the concessions,” Hansfield said.

This will further enhance NIU football fan’s game experience, she said.