Greeks must first register with NIU

By Laurel Marselle

All Greek organizations that want to recruit members and host events on NIU’s campus must first gain recognition from the university.

NIU currently recognizes 35 Greek organizations on campus, although there is a constant flow of applications from groups that want to be recognized, said Chris Juhl, activities adviser for Greek Affairs.

The Greek Life Standards Board, a panel made up of faculty and students, recognizes Greek organizations.

Every other year, the GLSB processes applications from potential Greek organizations that wish to be recognized on campus. The next selection process will take place in fall 2005, Juhl said.

Greek organizations that aren’t recognized cannot recruit members on campus, put up flyers or hold events, said Bertrand Simpson, associate director of the Office of University Programming and Activities.

Unrecognized groups are also not allowed to use university space, he said.

Simpson said that if NIU finds out that unrecognized Greek organizations don’t follow these rules, it could slow down their recognition process.

Students should take the time to see what groups are and aren’t recognized on campus, Juhl said.

“If an organization isn’t recognized, it’s usually for a good reason,” he said. “Often students will get involved, and the next thing you know, they are getting in major trouble either financially or physically,” he said.

To be recognized, potential organizations must submit an official letter from their national organization expressing interest in starting a chapter on campus. Groups are then notified about a presentation to the board six months before the presentation date.

If the group meets the standards of the board in terms of their structure and what they have to offer the university, the GLSB will recognize the organization on campus.

Once accepted, the organization is brought to the Interfraternity Council, the College Panhellenic Council and the National Panhellenic Council, where they decide into which council the group fits best.

For more information regarding recognized groups on campus, visit www.sa.niu.edu.