Redline a smart option

The creation of the Redline shows that Student Association is capable of spending student fees in ways that actually benefit the students.

Far more useful than Huskie Highlights ever has been, the Huskie Bus Line’s newest route provides scheduled late-night service connecting campus to the downtown area. Buses will run twice an hour from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

More importantly, the Redline provides a safe option for students who need a way home after a night out on the town. Because the bus stops near many of the major bars in DeKalb, there is no longer any excuse for students to drive home after drinking.

NIU already offers the Late Night Ride Service, but the regular schedule of the Redline makes the new service convenient for students, who generally are unwilling to wait an hour and a half for the Late Night Ride Service to be available. The Redline also can accommodate a larger volume of students at one time – decreasing the wait even further.

In fact, the only problem with the Redline right now is that service ends at 2 a.m. – the same as when bars close. To make the most of the Redline’s service, perhaps the route could run until 2:30 or 3 a.m., giving students enough time to leave the bars and make it to the bus stops in time to catch a ride home.

Although some may say the last thing students need is another “drunk bus” to encourage unrestrained drinking, SA is wise to recognize that students will go out anyway. Finding an effective way to minimize the consequences of a night of fun for students shows that SA does have the students’ best interests at heart.

The SA has done the student body a service by offering an alternative to drinking and driving. Students should respond by making use of the offer.

In other words, get on the bus.