Trustees give pay raise

By Gerold Shelton

The Board of Trustees gave qualifying NIU employees a 3-percent raise, adopting NIU President John Peters’ proposal.

Qualifying NIU employees will receive the pay increase retroactive to the start of the school year. An additional 1-percent increase is slated to be given in January if the budget situation does not change.

Peters said he was “ecstatic” about the salary increase.

“I consider this the most important budget item of the year,” Peters said.

The board also approved both the appropriated and nonappropriated capital budget requests for fiscal year 2006.

Appropriated funding is money that comes from the state of Illinois to fund repairs and renovation projects, primarily academic buildings. Nonappropriated budget money comes from student fees and NIU bond sales and typically funds renovation in nonacademic buildings.

The board held a lengthy executive board session that included discussion with lawyers regarding land needed to complete the new alumni center, Peters said.

After the executive meeting, the board held a special vote to accept a small patch of land donated for the center.

“It is an exciting addition and privately funded,” BOT Chair Gary Skoien said.

The board also officially approved the appointment of Brian Hemphill to the position of vice president for Student Affairs.

“I am very excited about this appointment,” Student Trustee Eric Johnson said.

Jim Phillips, the new athletics director, was introduced at the board meeting.

Phillips told the board that providing a world class experience for student athletes is a goal he has set for the athletics department.

“I am very excited about what the future holds here,” Phillips said.

After the meeting, Peters talked about the recent steps to control increasing enrollment issues.

“I’m not at all pleased we turned away 1,500 fully-qualified students,” Peters said. “We took a $30 million-plus cut in base funding and we needed to draw a line in the sand.”

BOT meetings will move to Altgeld Hall starting with the next full board meeting scheduled for 9 a.m. on Dec. 2.