Former Huskie takes it to court

By Justin Gallagher

Twenty years later, not a week goes by that Brad Waller does not get a call asking if he is the “basketball guy.”

Prior to his 17 years of practicing law in DeKalb, Waller was one of NIU’s most decorated basketball players.

“It is nice to revisit the old basketball days when people call,” he said. “It is humbling.”

Former NIU coach John McDougal coached Waller from 1982 to ’85 and said he feels Waller would have gone to the NBA “had there been a three-point rule and a more loose offensive set-up.”

After graduation in 1985, Waller decided to stay in DeKalb to start his career. He practices law as a partner of Klein, Stoddard, Buck, Waller & Lewis.

Waller said DeKalb’s “small-town atmosphere” kept him in the NIU community. He said he feels it is a good place to raise his three children. His two daughters swim, and his son plays varsity basketball at DeKalb High School.

“A couple of times,” he quietly said with a smile, ”my son has beaten me. He has a nice outside shot.”

Waller was a guard and graduated as the 22nd-highest scorer in NIU history with 787 career points.

For a man who stands nearly 6-and-a-half feet tall, McDougal said Waller moved with surprising grace and was one of the “best pure shooters” he has ever seen.

Academically, Waller excelled in the classroom as he did on the court. He received the Senior Award for Inspiration/Attitude, Honorable Mention Academic All-American and was unanimously selected to the First Team Academic All-Mac.

Aside from athletics and classwork, Waller counseled high school students with substance abuse problems. He also guest spoke for the community program Growing Up Sober.

On and off the court, he represented the institution with “class and dignity,” said Michael Korcek, NIU’s current sports information director.

Waller will be back on the court in the annual alumni basketball game, which has yet to be announced.

Waller’s additional accomplishments:

A three -year letter-winner

Co-captain senior year of basketball team

A member of NIU’s All-Century team

Inducted into IBCA Hall of Fame

Member of Phi Alpha Theta International Society for History

A Who’s Who Among Students recipient