Magazine editor to discuss Iraq

By Mark Pietrowski

Matthew Rothschild, the editor of Progressive Magazine, will make three separate presentations to NIU students today.

Cele Meyer, co-coordinator of the DeKalb Interfaith Network for Peace and Justice, said Progressive Magazine has been around for 95 years and that its mission is to be a journalistic voice for peace and social justice.

Rothschild hosts a daily progressive radio program and has appeared on “The O’Reilly Factor” before, she said.

Meyer said students have a lot at stake during this election and could get a lot out of the presentations.

Rothschild starts out his day speaking about the media’s coverage of foreign policy in a presentation titled “The President as Assignment Editor,” from 12:30 to 1:45 p.m. in DuSable Hall, Room 256.

He will speak about Americans’ civil liberties and how they are being affected by the current administration from 2:15 to 4 p.m. at the Moot Courtroom in Swen Parson Hall.

The day will wrap up with a discussion on the Iraq War, where Rothschild will address the question of whether “Bush’s Blunder will become Kerry’s Blunder” at 7 p.m. in the Lincoln Room of the Holmes Student Center.

Rothschild is very open to other viewpoints and welcomes students to bring their questions or concerns to his presentations, Meyer said.

“He is a wonderful speaker, and I feel that students will really like him,” Meyer said.