Get out and cheer for the Huskies

Drag the red and black clothing out of your closet, or stop by the bookstore to pick up the requisite NIU hooded sweatshirt.

The first home football game of the season is Saturday, and all students – from freshmen to grad students – should come out to Huskie Stadium and show some support.

After a narrow loss to Maryland Saturday – by a margin of just three points – the Huskies deserve student and community support now more than ever.

Last year, NIU was ranked as high as No. 12 by The Associated Press and lost just two games all season. This year, the Huskies again are expected to do great things – despite the loss of Michael Turner and P.J. Fleck to graduation. After all, there are players such as Josh Haldi and Brian Atkinson to take over where Turner and Fleck left off.

Anyone new to campus – freshmen and transfer students, this means you – should make a special point to attend the game. Instead of going home this weekend, stay in DeKalb and experience Huskie athletics at its best.

After all, football games are about more than just sports. They’re not only about winning or losing. Home games are a way for NIU students to come together, meet new people and get to know their school and all the rituals involved.

That’s why students shouldn’t miss tailgating, a pre-game party outside the stadium. It’s probably one of the biggest parties you’ll go to – and one of the few times you’ll see students celebrating alongside alumni, with pride in their school as the common ground.

Forget about the Huskie Club, though. You can tailgate without parking by the stadium. Your $50 is better spent somewhere else, such as on food to barbecue pre-game or on refreshments in the stands.

Remember, you pay money – good money – to go to NIU, so you should experience everything the university has to offer. Football games are a part of the college experience that you shouldn’t miss.

Stick around on Saturday. You have every weekend after the football season ends to go back home.