Politicos prepare for tonight’s debate

By Gerold Shelton

The first of three scheduled presidential debates will start at the University of Miami in Coral Gabes, Fla. tonight. All three debates are scheduled for 8 p.m. on their respective days and will air on all major broadcast networks and cable news channels.

Scheduled debate topics include foreign affairs and national security.

Over 46 million people watched the presidential debate in 2000 between George W. Bush and Al Gore, according to www.tvguide.com.

“I think a lot of people will watch,” said James Schubert, a political science professor. “It rates right up there with the Olympics – especially the first one.”

However, one NIU professor doesn’t think the debate will have a huge turnout.

“There will not be a large deal of people watching the debate,” said Daniel Kempton, chair and associate professor of the political science department. “Not as many as one would like anyway, but that depends on the topics.”

While debate topics may be foreign affairs and national security, how much time is spent actually debating the issues could factor in the outcome of who “wins” the debate.

“I hope the candidates will speak on issues,” said Brad Sagarin, an assistant psychology professor. “It is better for the process to focus on issues, not so much on appearance or insults.”

All three professors said the outcome of the presidential election will come down to the swing voters.

Energizing the party base is another factor that the professors said could affect the debate’s outcome.

“The debate can affect if a committed Republican or Democrat goes out to vote,” Sagarin said.

What the media focus on in news reports after the debate could also have an impact.

“If the media focus on appearance then that will be the message the public takes from the debate,” Sagarin said. “Particularly those who do not actually watch the debate.”

A vice presidential debate between Vice President Dick Cheney and Sen. John Edwards is scheduled for 8 p.m. Tuesday at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.

The second presidential debate is Oct. 8 at Washington University in St. Louis. The final debate is scheduled for Oct. 13 at Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona.