Meningitis poses special threat to college students

By Megan Rodriguez

Students living in NIU’s residence halls should be aware that they are at a higher risk than most for bacterial meningitis.

There are two major classes of meningitis: viral meningitis and bacterial meningitis. There are also several forms of meningitis within the two main types.

William Oleckno, a professor of public health and health education programs at NIU, who specializes in epidemiology, the study of diseases, said that bacterial meningitis can be prevented with immunization and good personal hygiene. Viral meningitis, however, is more common than bacterial meningitis, but is less serious, he said.

Oleckno is also an epidemiologist and the author of of the textbook “Essential Epidemiology: Principles and Applications” by Waveland Press.

“Viral meningitis is caused by a number of different viruses that are transmitted from person to person through close contact or by nasal/mouth discharges,” Oleckno said. Close contact with those who have meningitis includes coming into contact with their sneezes and coughs.

Oleckno said viral meningitis usually goes away in one to two weeks.

Bacterial meningitis can be caused by different forms of bacteria, Oleckno said. He said the most common bacteria that cause the disease are Neisseria meningitis and Streptococcus pneumonia.

Bacterial meningitis is more serious than viral meningitis because it is more likely to cause brain damage or death, Oleckno said. Even with early diagnosis and supportive treatment, about 10 percent of those who contract the most common form of bacterial meningitis will die, he said.

“It is caused by direct contact with an infected individual, who may or may not show any symptoms,” Oleckno said. “25 percent of those infected are carriers and they can transmit menigococcal meningitis though they themselves appear well.”

Although college students are at a high risk due to close contact with one another, small children are at the highest risk for bacterial meningitis, Oleckno said.

According to the Meningitis Foundation of America, “Freshmen living in [residence halls] are found to have a sixfold increased risk for the disease.” The apparent reason is the close contact and sharing of items.

“Meningococcal meningitis is estimated to cause about 3,000 illnesses in the U.S. each year with more than 300 deaths,” Oleckno said. “It is also estimated that about 100 to 125 cases occur on college campuses with five to 15 deaths nationwide.”

Oleckno said that although most students will not contact active bacterial meningitis, outbreaks on campuses occasionally occur.

“Most health organizations first suggest students get educated about meningitis and the vaccine, and then make an informed decision,” Oleckno said. “It can happen to you.”