Sullivan’s Food project delayed

By Laurel Marselle

Bond Cos., the owner of the former Eagle Country Market site on South Fourth Street, had planned to open a Sullivan’s Foods by Sept. 1, but the site has yet to see any progress, said DeKalb Mayor Greg Sparrow.

When representatives met several months ago, it was agreed that incentives would not be needed from the city, and if a liquor license could be obtained, Bond Cos. would open the store within 90 days, Sparrow said. On May 24, the DeKalb City Council created a new liquor license permitting grocery stores to sell liquor.

Delays in building could be attributed to financing, Sparrow said.

“I imagine they [Bond Cos.] wanted more money than they [Sullivans] were willing to pay for the space,” Sparrow said.

Officials are currently waiting to be updated about this issue, Sparrow said.

The importance of a store on the south side of DeKalb deals with a quality of life issue, said Community Development Director Paul Rasmussen.

“Many people feel it has become a huge inconvenience to drive so far just to buy a gallon of milk,” he said.

In addition to the former Eagle site at 1401 S. Fourth St., proposals have been made for the southwest corner of Taylor Street and Annie Glidden Road, and at Annie Glidden and Dresser roads, where Ultra Foods is looking to build.

The other two companies are currently pursuing 120,000 to 140,000 square feet of retail and grocery space. Once agreements are made, they should open nine to 10 months later, Sparrow said.

Ultra Foods, a Cub Foods grocer, is looking to build on Annie Glidden and Dresser roads, and the chain seeking to occupy the space on Annie Glidden Road and Taylor Street has yet to be determined, Rasmussen said.

“Nobody has tied the decision to what the students want yet, whether it be a sporting goods store or a 24-hour restaurant,” Rasmussen said.

Students could also have a pull in the decision through a trend in healthier eating, he said.

“I’m pretty aware of the students’ need for healthy food in order to avoid the freshman 15, and I suggested that factor to grocery stores that it would appeal to students,” he said.