Come out and support the winning Huskies in ‘04

By George Shurt

What is Huskie Athletics?

This is a question I often hear from both returning and new students. NIU Intercollegiate Athletics includes nearly 500 of your fellow students who proudly wear the cardinal and black and who participate in 17 NCAA Division I sports.

It is tens of thousands of alumni and fans who attend our contests – last year in record numbers.

And, most importantly, it is our students – not only our athletes, but also those who come to Huskie Stadium, the Convocation Center and all of our playing fields to watch the Cardinal and Black take on nationally ranked opponents.

We invite you to enjoy “Huskie spirit.” Put on your cardinal (or red) and black and join us.

Your NIU Huskies compete in the Mid-American Conference, which has earned national recognition for athletic excellence and academic integrity. NIU is among only 117 Division I-A football programs, and, last year, we rose to as high as No. 10 in the national rankings. This year, we’ve got some scores to settle, and you should be there to witness the excitement and fun that is Huskie football. Remember, students are admitted by showing their student IDs!

Join us to root on your classmates at all our fall venues – Huskie Stadium, the Convocation Center (for slam-bang action with women’s volleyball), the new West Campus Tennis Complex and, of course, our first-class soccer field.

Make the most of your college experience by becoming involved in some of the wonderful opportunities available to NIU students. These include, of course, the chance to participate in or to enjoy Huskie Athletics. With your help, we’ll have an even more exciting season than last year!

Remember, Huskie Athletics is you!

Columns reflect the opinion of the author and not necessarily that of the Northern Star staff.