VP for Student Affairs named

By Kartikay Mehrotra

Brian Hemphill will enter his office Aug. 23 as the new NIU vice president for Student Affairs after a nearly yearlong search.

Hemphill will replace the retiring vice provost of Student Affairs, Gary Gresholdt, and assume the new title that now includes a seat in NIU President John Peters’ cabinet.

“I have been very impressed with Dr. Peters and his cabinet,” Hemphill said. “When you read about a student from this institution talking about the president saying, ‘I love that guy,’ it’s rare.”

Hemphill has touted a philosophy of increasing communication and collaboration to address the needs of NIU students.

“One thing we must ask ourselves regarding every program we provide is, ‘How does this enhance the academic and social experience of our students?’” Hemphill said. “Our work will be guided by a student-centered philosophy.”

Hemphill will oversee Student Housing and Dining Services, University Health Service, Greek Life, Student Legal Assistance and other NIU programs relating to student life.

His philosophy, along with the communication skills and excitement that Hemphill brings, will be a great asset to the NIU community, Peters said.

“I am pleased that NIU has attracted a person of such experience and energy to bring renewed focus to student affairs,” Peters said in a press release.

Looking toward the first 90 days of his new job, Hemphill said much of that time will be spent building relationships and assessing the fundamental strengths and weaknesses of the division.

“Much of my time will be spent communicating with members of the community,” he said. “I don’t plan to spend a great deal of my time at my desk. I will be diligent about connecting with students to ensure that the decisions we make on their behalf are always in their best interest.”

Hemphill will report to Ivan Legg, executive vice president and provost. Legg said he is sure Hemphill’s personality and experience will pay dividends in improving everyday student life at NIU.

“He has an infectious enthusiasm for the job, and he is very articulate. We are quite confident that we are putting this position into the right hands,” Legg said in a press release.

Hemphill has spent the past three years as associate vice chancellor for Student Affairs and dean of students at the University of Arkansas.