Follow these tips for trouble-free college life

By Willie Mickell

In the past 72 hours, the city of DeKalb has been taken over by thousands of new students and thousands of returning students arriving in time to make it to classes this morning.

For many, making the adjustment to the college lifestyle – whether you are fresh out of high school or just returning from a long summer at your parents’ house – can be difficult.

For local businesses, the influx of students is good news. The opportunity for financial gain from students – who hopefully still have cash in their pockets from summer jobs – is tremendous.

The return of students also proves breathtaking for DeKalb police and University Police. Officers all over DeKalb now have an opportunity to practice their handwriting skills, writing up a myriad of police reports in the near future.

But for the students, there is both good and bad news ahead.

While it is not illegal to party, drink, smoke, curse or have sex, there are consequences and repercussions to endure if this is the chosen path. The following tips are just a few suggestions for how to handle certain issues that are likely to occur throughout the students’ time at NIU.

Racing hormones among young and old college students are common. It’s a part of life. But so are sexually transmitted diseases. Having safe sex by getting contraceptives from a local drug store or University Health Service can save you from blazing, burning, crying and cursing.

While drinking can be soothing, comforting and tasteful, drinking and driving will only get you in lots of legal trouble. Put simply: Don’t do it.

If you are drunk and tired, sleep in your car for the night or get someone to call you a cab. It’s not fair to students and the community if a good story about the football team was going to run on the front page of the Northern Star but has to be moved to Page 2 because your mug shot took priority. Don’t be selfish.

Using a friend’s research paper from last semester and presenting it to the class as your own will get you an invitation to the University Judicial Office and a possible suspension from the university. From what I have been told, there is a torture chamber in this place. Your picture is taken, and a phone call about the crime you’ve committed is made directly to God. Put simply: Don’t do it.

Stealing from Wal-Mart, JCPenney or Kohl’s can get you a police record. Although you might envision yourself looking good during Homecoming weekend with brand-new clothing and accessories, you will be caught if you try to steal. Think before taking items off the racks.

Speaking with Students’ Legal Assistance on campus before signing a lease with an apartment complex in town can save you headaches and heartaches. Put simply: Just do it.

Jobs are hard to find in this town. Don’t blow the opportunity you have at a good job by calling off your shift all the time just to see the guy or girl of the moment for 20 minutes of your day.

These tips won’t solve all your problems, but take it from someone who’s already been there. Avoiding these conflicts will make life as a college student more rewarding and far less stressful.

Columns reflect the opinion of the author and not necessarily that of the Northern Star staff.