Castle completed

By Sara Dolan

Altgeld Hall renovations are expected to be complete sometime in the fall semester, although a specific date has been not been set.

The renovated Altgeld Hall will feature conference rooms, reception areas, an auditorium without fixed seating and the University Art Museum, Project Manager Patricia Perkins said.

Perkins, also assistant to the vice president of Finance and Facilities, said she is reluctant to set a date for reopening because of criticism she received over earlier deadlines not met.

Perkins told the Northern Star in April 2003 that the renovations would be complete by January 2004.

The project, begun in 1999, has been plagued with setbacks such as asbestos removal. Originally budgeted for $19.5 million, the renovation now is expected to cost $25 million.

The project is capitally funded, meaning that state funds are driving the renovation.

“This was more a labor of love than a project,” Perkins said.

From the outside, the ‘castle’ appears finished, especially now that the orange plastic fencing that once encircled the building has been removed.

Construction workers continue to busy themselves inside, working on lighting and unfinished doorways, Perkins said.

Perkins said the university will hire professional movers to move administrators such as the university’s accountants back into Altgeld Hall.

Most displaced administrators have had temporary offices in Gilbert Hall. The University Art Museum has occupied temporary space on Pleasant Street.

Perkins said she was unsure of exactly how many offices were in the renovated building. The art museum will have three galleries accommodating two to three exhibitions at once.

The moving process could take several weeks, she said. The university has not begun to seek bids for the moving project.

Information Technology Services will be responsible for setting up Internet and phone line connections once the offices are occupied again.

Many students have maintained a guarded optimism as to the project’s completion date.

“I thought for sure it would be done before I left Northern, but it wasn’t,” said Vicky Lamoureux, 22, a spring 2004 graduate.

Another student was more lighthearted.

“I love castles, and I can’t wait to see it,” said Connie Sleezer, 23, a Stevenson Towers hall director and graduate student.

Perkins, who is also project manager of the DuSable turnaround project, said that aside from roof repairs and tuck pointing, she doesn’t know of any other upcoming renovations on campus.