SA’s attempts to disable CAB shot down

By Dan Patterson

Two attempts by the NIU student government to freeze the actions of the Campus Activities Board have been struck down by NIU officials since May 10.

Incoming CAB officers Jenny Mendez, Matt Holder and Bill Leahy filed a complaint with the Student Association Supreme Court dated May 3 that charged the current CAB executives were attempting to “tie the hands of the incoming leadership.”

The petition also accused current CAB officials of holding meetings consisting only of “childish insults and no information [to prepare them for the transition].”

The three petitioners were not available for comment.

SA Supreme Court Chief Justice Eric Johnson granted all six of the requests with few alterations.

In his decision to grant the injunction freezing CAB accounts until the new officers take power on July 1, Johnson cited his power to “preserve and protect the rights of students.”

Johnson referred to “blatant disregard and an attempt to subvert the democratic process,” as he halted all current and future contract negotiations until current officers leave.

Johnson did not grant repeated requests for an interview.

Jen Suerth, current CAB president, said she had no idea what brought about the charges.

“We did nothing to tie the hands of anyone,” Suerth said. “All information is available to them; all they have to do is ask.”

She said the incoming officials had acted in a way that is not conducive to a good working relationship.

Suerth also said she was not aware of any insults directed at the new officials. She said she and current officials Brooke Beyers and Steven Illingworth have attempted to assist in the transition.

In preliminary meetings after the CAB elections in March, Suerth said, she briefed the incoming officers on what CAB does and the activities it sponsors.

Suerth said that when she asked what their goals and expectations were for 2005, their answers were “vague at best.”

Suerth defended CAB’s actions to alter its constitution as routine housekeeping and, this time, at the direction of the SA to “tighten it.”

Rick Clark, director of University Programming and Activities, agreed with Suerth’s assertion that the changes were normal and reversed Johnson’s decision.

“Nowhere in those documents [SA constitution and bylaws] does it give the judge the power to get involved in internal matters,” Clark said.

He said the issue should have been resolved between the old and new executives and CAB advisers.

Furthermore, Clark said, Johnson’s decision gave no rationale for the finding.

Clark said Johnson’s order to suspend CAB contract negotiations was not possible, given that some had been signed and that programming had to be arranged well in advance of the fall semester.

CAB is operating as normal, Suerth said, and is busy planning for Family Weekend and Homecoming events.

After NIU refused to honor Johnson’s injunction, SA Vice President Janet Rodriguez attempted to suspend CAB, said Bertrand Simpson, associate director of Programming and Activities and an adviser to the SA.

This action also was disallowed, Simpson said.

“No student has unilateral authority to suspend an organization,” Simpson said. “I defy someone to tell me differently.”

SA personnel, Rodriguez said, was on a family vacation and not available for comment.