Athletic director search narrows

By Kartikay Mehrotra

The athletic department is continuing its search for a new athletic director after former athletic director Cary Groth took a position at the University of Nevada at Reno in April.

After receiving numerous applications and resumes following the open advertisement, the applications have been sent to a search firm, which will narrow the applicants down to 10 to 12. The search firm will be on campus this week interviewing administrators, coaches and students to get an idea as to what type of athletic director NIU is looking for, Vice Provost Earl Seaver said.

After the 10 to 12 candidates have been identified, the search committee, headed by Seaver, will narrow to three or four and hopefully come up with the ideal candidate for the job by August 1, Seaver said.

Interim athletic director George Shur is in charge of the athletic department while the committee continues its search. The search committee is made up of Janet Rintala, assistant chair of the kinesiology and physical education department; Terry Bishop, head of the Athletic Board; Craig Marcus, Student Association president for the 2004-’05 academic year; Tim Struthers, community adviser; Admasu Zike, associate vice provost of academic support; Steve Cunningham, associate vice president of administration and human resources; Mallory Simpson, NIU Foundation president; Rob Judson, head basketball coach; Shantel Twiggs, head track and field coach; and student athletes A.J. Harris and Marie Zidek.

Though many internal candidates are more than qualified for the job, Seaver said, the new athletic director will probably be an external candidate.