BOT swears in Student Trustee Johnson

By Kate McDonough

Eric Johnson, a senior political science major, will begin his duties as the new student trustee July 1, the beginning of the new fiscal year. He will take over the position from Kevin Miller.

Johnson was sworn in when the Board of Trustees met Thursday.

Miller said he is confident Johnson will be an asset to the board.

“I can retire, so to speak, knowing that the office of the student trustee is now in hands more capable than my own,” Miller said.

During the ceremony, BOT Chairman Gary Skoein introduced Johnson and presented him with a lapel pin all board members receive. Johnson has been active on campus and in the community, Skoein said, becoming the youngest elected official in the state when he served as a DeKalb County Board member at age 19. Johnson is finishing his term as the Student Association Supreme Court’s chief justice.

“The board takes the opinions and counsel of the student trustee very seriously,” Skoein told Johnson, “and we look forward to working with you.”

Johnson said he was honored to be a part of the board and to be able to serve NIU.

“Every time we turn around, the university is doing great things,” Johnson said.

The board also expressed its appreciation to Miller for his service this year and presented him with a resolution.

“You have done a remarkable job, and you have carried the torch from a long line of student trustees and student governance figures,” NIU President John Peters told Miller. “I expect we will hear great things of you.”

At the meeting, NIU President John Peters also briefly discussed the FY05 budget delay and said NIU continues to wait on a decision from Springfield. He said leaders from all Illinois public universities sent a letter to Springfield and district offices to express support for a bill that would end the decline in state funding for higher education.

“We are fulfilling our mission to the state regardless of the politics that swirl around us,” Peters said. “But the leadership of all public universities believes that enough is enough.”

Skoein and Peters both said they are impressed by the manner in which the faculty and staff has coped with the budget cuts and ask for continued understanding.

The Board of Trustees will next meet Sept. 16.