SA Senate reviews grievance policy

By Nick Swedberg

Student Association President Shaun Crisler briefly chastised members of the senate for speaking negatively about the SA at Sunday’s senate meeting.

“I demand you guys refrain from bashing this organization,” Crisler said.

He made this demand during his executive report.

While attending the funeral of Kevin Knight, a former SA vice president, Crisler was approached by people who asked him why SA members would talk badly about their own organization.

Crisler said for the first time since becoming president, he was unable to answer a question posed by someone about the SA.

Also during his executive report, Crisler discussed a grievance procedure policy from the University Council. The procedure, which is intended to handle grievances with members of the university, was sent to each college dean to solicit feedback.

The University Council’s Rules and Governance Committee submitted changes to NIU’s by-laws to allow for the new grievance procedure for faculty and staff.

Crisler referred to members of the senate who call themselves “agents of change” but didn’t name anyone specifically.

Representatives from Supporting the Needy, which was up for recognition for the third time at Sunday’s meeting, failed to attend the meeting.

The senate moved to indefinitely postpone the bill to recognize the student organization. Senate Speaker Andrew Nelms said when a bill is postponed indefinitely, it only can be reviewed when a member of the organization brings it up.

The bill no longer will come up as an item of business until someone requests it to, Nelms said. However, the bill still is available for consideration.

“We still have two meetings left. We’ll vote on it,” Nelms said.

During his speaker’s report, Nelms said he will meet with NIU President John Peters on Thursday to discuss two issues concerning NIU and its students. He said he wants to talk about the Holmes Student Center’s bus turnaround and what can be done to improve the road. He said he also will talk about what can be done to improve pedestrian conditions across Annie Glidden Road.