NCAA needs to revamp graduation-rate system

By Mark Pickrel

In the most recent figures released by the NCAA, NIU student athletes graduate at a rate of 67 percent.

This number was 16 percent higher than the general student population and tied for fourth best in the MAC.

However, what really needs to be examined is the criteria used to figure these numbers.

The graduation rates standards set by the NCAA are completely ridiculous.

Sportscasters and magazines all over the country make a big deal about the number that represents the total graduates at a school.

When you hear about a school with a zero graduation rate, you immediately think no one graduated from that school for that year. In reality, it couldn’t be further from the truth.

If an athlete transfers into a school and graduates, he or she doesn’t count toward the school’s graduation rate.

For example, if NIU transfer Jonathan Byrd graduates in the allotted six years of time, he won’t count toward NIU’s graduation rates.

Another thing that should help athletes graduate but seems completely absurd is the amount of time allotted to graduate.

The NCAA allows six years for athletes to complete their degrees.

Six years.

Even if athletes take 12 hours per semester for 10 semesters – five years – that gives you 120 hours, which is the standard for most schools to complete a degree.

So where does the sixth year come in?

You have to take 12 hours per semester to stay eligible.

Why six years?

You should be able to get two degrees in six years.

What the NCAA needs to do is revamp the graduation-rate system.

Let’s reward schools and athletes who get their degrees.

If an athlete transfers to a school and gets his or her degree, count it toward the school.

Why penalize a school for accepting a transfer?

Especially if that transfer is an honors student that gets a degree.

Also, lose the six-year clause for getting a degree. Five years is an adequate amount of time to get a degree – even if you switch majors.

Unless you are in a major school that requires more than four years of school, you should be able to get a degree in five years.

If you can’t get it in five years, you don’t deserve a degree.

So next time you see a school’s graduation rate, make sure you know this is not an adequate representation of the athletes graduating.