Don’t have a cow, man!

By David Gomez

The face behind an infamous 10 year-old boy paid a visit to a packed crowd at the Holmes Student Center’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium on Thursday night.

“I’m Bart Simpson, who the hell are you?” asked Nancy Cartwright, voice actress of the pointy-haired star of “The Simpsons.”

Cartwright’s presentation, sponsored by the Campus Activities Board, detailed the life and career of the actress, who first got her start in cartoons as the character Gloria in 1981’s “Richie Rich.”

At age 10, Cartwright said, she discovered a joy for making others laugh. On the high school speech team, she discovered a talent for voice acting and won a scholarship from Ohio University.

While filling in for announcers at a Dayton radio station, Cartwright met with a representative from Warner Brothers who advised her to put together a demo tape, she said.

Months after sending the tape in, Cartwright received a letter from Hanna-Barbera, who recommended she contact Daws Butler, voice of the Roadrunner cartoon character.

“He took me under his wings,” said Cartwright, who trained with Butler to improve her voice skills.

Later, Cartwright decided to transfer to UCLA to prepare for her career. Before she could move, however, her mother passed away.

The event took a great toll on Cartwright until a friend advised her to do what she loved most.

“It saved me. [It] got me over this chasm and helped take away my pain,” Cartwright said.

Cartwright’s other roles on “The Simpsons” include Nelson Muntz and Ralph Wiggum.

Cartwright also did a series of impersonations, including Muntz (“a throat ripper” of a voice) waxing philosophical and Bart’s different laughs. She also revealed that she, not fellow “Simpsons” cast member Dan Castellaneta, voices the epic burping sound effects of Homer Simpson.

“I get paid to do that,” said Cartwright, who took a sip of water and demonstrated Homer’s burp.

Cartwright declined to comment on the current strike by “Simpsons” cast members, which has held up production of its 16th season. Six actors, including Cartwright, reportedly are seeking $360,000 per episode, up from $125,000, according to reports from the Daily Variety.

Students at the event appeared to enjoy the presentation.

“Two thumbs up. [It was] good family fun,” junior marketing major Chris Obedoza said.