Campus Child Care Center to celebrate week for kids

By David Gomez

The NIU Campus Child Care Center will take part in a nationwide event next week promoting children’s welfare.

The Week of the Young Child aims to focus public attention on the needs of young children and their families and to support the early childhood programs and services that meet those needs, said Lisa Schmidt, assistant director of Campus Child Care.

The National Association for the Education of Young Children has been holding the event nationwide annually since 1971.

“[It] is a time to focus on the needs of young children and families,” Schmidt said, “and to plan how we – as citizens of a community, of a state and of a nation – will better meet the needs of all young children and their families.”

Many children’s futures are at risk from a variety of factors, including inadequate health care and poverty, Schmidt said.

“The WOYC is a time to recommit ourselves to ensuring that each and every child receives the type of early environment – at home, at child care, at school and in the community – that will promote their early learning,” Schmidt said. “Making the early years count as the very best learning years for all children – that’s what [the week] is all about.”

Outstanding teachers also will be celebrated throughout the week with gifts and honorary events.

The Week of the Young Child will end with an open house for all students from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday at the Campus Child Care Center.

There will be prizes, refreshments, tours of the center and a children’s art display on hand at the event, Schmidt said.