Chair of math dept. honored

By Megan Rodriguez

William Blair, chair of the mathematical sciences department, is being honored for his teaching skills with the Presidential Teaching Professorship Award.

President John Peters will present the award to Blair at Honors Day on Sunday at the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom.

“I am both pleased and humbled,” Blair said. “Northern Illinois University, and the mathematical sciences department in particular, is very fortunate to have many outstanding teachers. To be recognized as belonging to this very special group of teachers is truly gratifying.”

Blair, who came to NIU as an assistant professor in 1971, said he enjoyed math even as a small child and used to tutor others in math.

“I honestly can’t think of anything I’d prefer doing,” Blair said. “I truly love mathematics. I enjoy sharing mathematical ideas with others, and I get a real charge out of working with students. My job brings it all together.”

Blair said a highlight of his career was being nominated by his students for the Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award.

“The memory that immediately comes to mind is the time that students informed me that they had nominated me,” Blair said. “They were so pleased to tell me. I don’t know who was happier at that moment – the students or me.”

After receiving his undergraduate degree at Johns Hopkins University, Blair went on to earn his Ph.D. at the University of Maryland, College Park.

NIU math professor Linda Sons, a colleague of Blair’s, said Blair goes above and beyond to help students in any way he can.

“His office door is open for his students even though he has a heavy load of work as chair of the department,” Blair said. “His influence is long term. Years later, students [will] realize that they profited from his teaching or advice while they are working in their careers.”

Blair said he agreed NIU’s math department helps students in the long run. It is one of the main reasons he loves to work at the university, he said.

“Our department has consistently valued excellence in both teaching and research,” Blair said. “During the 33 years I’ve been a member of this department, I have taken great pride in watching the growth of its national reputation.”