Candidate visits NIU to address university

By Kristin Cavarretta

The first of two candidates for the position of vice president of Student Affairs, Connie Foley, arrived on campus Tuesday and will meet with students, faculty and staff in an open session today.

From 11 a.m. to noon, anyone is invited to the Holmes Student Center’s Lincoln Room to ask Foley questions.

Foley has worked at a number of Mid-American Conference schools, including Eastern Michigan, Kent State and Bowling Green universities.

Foley is the current assistant vice president at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton. She has been there for six years and said she considers the vice president position at NIU to be a great opportunity.

“I’ve always wanted to be a vice president,” Foley said. “It’s an opportunity to gain some more responsibility and to have some broader responsibilities in terms of having an impact on students.”

Foley had dinner with search committee representatives Tuesday evening and will meet with the committee twice more. Following the open session today, Foley will have lunch with a group of student leaders and Michael Coakley, director of Student Housing & Dining Services. Later in the day, she will meet with representatives from groups who deal with special populations.

The second candidate for the vice president position, Melvin Terrell, will arrive on campus April 14. An open session with him will be held from 11 a.m. to noon April 15 at the Holmes Student Center’s Illinois Room.