College of Law to hold public auction today

By Mike Neumann

The NIU College of Law will host its ninth annual Public Interest Law Society auction today.

The auction starts at 5 p.m. at Swen Parson Hall’s Thurgood Marshall Gallery and David Shapiro Memorial Library.

“Last year, we made roughly $15,000,” said Kevin Chrzanowski, an auction organizer and NIU law student. “We’re hoping to do about the same this year.”

Various sports teams, lawyers and even some students have donated the items being auctioned.

“We have anything from a three- to five-hour cruise, to autographed footballs and sports tickets, to smaller items like gift baskets from local salons,” Chrzanowski said.

The money raised by the auction will go toward summer stipends for students who work in public interest legal positions. The stipends allow students to volunteer their time to assist people who cannot afford legal services through conventional methods. In return, the students receive valuable legal experience.

The event will begin with a silent auction. The items with the most bids will move to a live auction, which will be conducted by LeRoy Pernell, dean of NIU’s College of Law.

Chrzanowski said almost any kind of item can be donated to the auction, with the exception of clothing.

Anyone who wants to donate an item can call Tatita Kaus at 753-0589 or e-mail [email protected].