Programming office faces review

By Gerold Shelton

Students and student organizations will have the opportunity to share comments and concerns about University Programming & Activities today.

Student Affairs has scheduled an external review meeting for UP&A from 4 to 5:30 p.m. today at the Holmes Student Center, Room 506.

“This is a normal procedure, and we very much look forward to it,” said Michelle Emmett, associate vice provost. “We expect to hear what’s going well and what needs improvement. “

Five years ago, the external review portion of Student Affairs was added as part of its assessment program, Emmett said.

Steve Ransom, director of student activities at Miami University of Ohio, and Dan Maxwell, director of the office of student activities at Western Illinois University, will visit with students at the open meeting.

“We felt it was important to get someone from the MAC conference and someone from the Midwest region,” Emmett said.

Student Affairs has nine departments. Four departments receive formal accreditation, including the Campus Child Care Center and University Health Service.

The other five departments are placed on a five-year external review cycle. Only two departments, Career Planning and Placement and University Programming & Activities, are left to be reviewed. Once the two departments have completed their cycle, all five will prepare for the next five-year cycle of external reviews.

Results from the review meeting should be available for review by the Student Affairs office by June 1, Emmett said.